Friday, July 07, 2006

Maggoted

Today was a weird day - not feeling great but can only stay in bed for so long before feeling the need to move.
Went to town, got some food at the supermarket, picked up drill and other crazy stuff that my sister needed for the farm. I was craving cake and custard but decided to make the cake myself seeing as i'm pretty good when making sweet stuff and fresh out the oven is always lovely!
She goes off to milk the one cow that needs milking and i set to with making dinner. Wasn't bad, even if i do say so myself :)
Then pudding: I decide on fudge brownies cos i'm a bit of a brownie addict. Ingredients include butter, vanilla essence, sugar, flour, eggs. That was pretty much it, mix it all together, chuck it in the oven and: Viola!! it would be ready.
Get on making the custard - i'm not quite sure what went wrong but there seemed to be an awful lot of pretty huge lumps. not only that but the custard here must have some serious colouring cos it was a nice bright yellow colour. (Reminds me of other not nice things that aren't supposed to be eaten), Not my favourite colour for food.
Tried adding milk and the lumps spread a bit more evenly but no way i could eat it now.
Never mind, there's cream in the fridge - that'll go nicely with warm brownies. I check the oven and the mix is bubbling noisily in the bottom of the oven. I'm sure i've never seen any kind of cake mix do that before!
Remove the cake, gather a couple plates, a fishslice...i'm really looking forward to a nice gooey piece of chocolate brownie.
Manage to scrape out some of the stickymess for me Sis but it's looking a bit interesting and not easily slicable.
I'm on to pulling a slice out for me when i spot what i think looks a tad like a small, see-through caterpiller. I see eyes looking up at me. Is it a maggot?
I make noise enough for my sister to see if it's a maggot or just some chocolatey substance, but my fear is confirmed: it is indeed a maggot. Obviously trying to escape from the sticky mess it found itself bound into and not lucky enough to make it out alive.
I'm glad that one made it to the surface - i might have tried a whole slice and eaten a few hidden maggots if this one hadn't been discovered (great big massive thing it was too :-O ). Of course, i don't need to tell all that my sister carried on eating hers heartily, bugs an' all!!
Moral of the story - don't use flour where the owner says, 'this one needs used up.'
I was really glad for that big bar of chocolate we picked up seeing as I no longer had neither cake OR custard to finish the evening with!

No comments: