Thursday, July 06, 2006

Driving Rain


Today i drove.

Actually, if you're thinking i drove a long way today maybe i shouldn't begin my post with that statement. i drove a long way on Tuesday. From the Coromandel down to Wanga...wotsit. I'm really not good with these names yet. (somewhere near Hawera).

Today i only drove a couple hundred km. Not a huge amount really.

I really have nothing much to say but once i get started i normally don't stop. On occasion, the reader gets a bit of a laugh too so that's not bad. in fact, maybe i should use this thing instead of sending emails to people...then i'd only have to write something once. (that would work if i actually emailed people in the first place).

Back to my driving thing! so i'm towards the bottom half of the north Island. we've had fantastic weather recently up north but after a couple of hours here visiting family, the rain starts. And keeps on going... and on ... and on ...
Not only rain but wind too.
If there's any kind of weather i hate, it's wind. a breeze i can cope with if it's warm but wind is the worst thing us humans are expected to bear!!!
i'm on to my third day here and the rain is still pouring. It's managed to stop a couple of times for a significant space of time, such as 3 hours. Stopped once when we were in Hawera on the way to the cinema and started up again 15 mins after we'd left. Today it was good enough to stop for an hour, half of which was spent inside a shopping centre.

I love driving but driving through some deep water on the road, i realised i was no longer driving my lovely 2 litre diesel engine Rover, but instead have to think about my 1.4 petrol engine nissan. That means i can no longer go ploughing through flooded roads like i used to. Instead, i'll be one of those unlucky cars on the side of the road whose engine got too much water in them and cut out.
Woe is ME!!

I'm home safe after a long drive around the coast and down the county but part of the main road just down the way is closed 'cos it's flooded a tad too much. I'm wondering if i'll be able to make it back to Auckland if this rain keeps on going. Also for consideration - how long will it take me? if i'm flying through flooded roads it'll take me twice as long seeing as there won't be any speeding involved.

I think for me, the only option is to enjoy the sound of the rain, be glad i changed all the tyres before i came, surf the net and eat all the food in the house. That sounds like a great holiday to me!

No comments: