Sunday, July 16, 2006

Back to School

Back to school today after a two week break. What a great start - got up early, nice morning, got everything i need, early to school incase there's a meeting, get set up for lessons and stuff... then the principal wants a word. I'm never sure if that's good or not.
So he asks me what i forgot. I'm thinking if i'd forgotten anything then surely i'd have no idea?! He tries to help. '14th of July', 'been talking about it a lot last term'.
Nope - i'm completely blank!
And he doesn't even tell me what i must've 'forgotten', tells me to go and check the previous weeks notices from before the holidays.
I'm looking for something on the 14th - Ah yes, the TAP Conference. (somehow, i remember asking one of the other teachers what that was).
The principle then kindly informs me that the school has the right to take up to 10 days of my days off (holidays) and replace them with compulsory meetings/trainings/prep days. The 14th of July (TAP conference) was one of those.
What a start to the new term - on a bad foot straight away. Not to worry, i'm on fixed term contract and my visa's through so if all else fails i'll have plenty notice and time to kick back and enjoy freedom (Alright, that's not going to happen but you just never can tell...).
Missed an 'important' Conference, and ended the day with a question about the science lesson i'm supposed to teach tomorrow, which i'm sure would've been covered if i'd only been at that Conference! Felt like a fool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

zat sucks.

But your principal also sounds like an exceptionally poor communicator. What a way to make his point.

H S